Thursday, February 25, 2010

Project 6 Mauk Design Andre Wong

Upon arriving at Mauk Design’s studio, you will see a giant lower case “a” in the window on the left side. On the right side, there is a clear spherical chair made for one hanging from a chain attached to the ceiling. My first thought to myself was, “Where do I get one of these chairs for MY room??” My first impression was that the place seemed small. After Mitchell’s presentation, I am amazed by the large scale exhibits produced by such a small firm. Three exhibits that stuck out for me were the marble tile exhibit, the Playstation exhibit, and the giant color swatches recreation displayed at the Adobe headquarters. I thought it was interesting how this exhibit spirals inward.


People continued to walk into the spiral knowing that it is a dead end. The marble displays were on both sides, designed for the people to go in looking at one side and then continue to look at the displays on the opposite side walking out. I thought this was a genius idea.


After looking at pics of the Playstation exhibit, it occurred to me where that awesome chair in the front came from. I am tempted to try and build one for myself. This exhibit looked ridiculously awesome, and I wish I was there. It is shocking to me that something like this was only up for 3 days before it was taken down.


This giant swatches pallete is really cool. It reminds me of a stained glass window. Another genius idea that makes you think to yourself, “Why didn’t I think of that?” I thought it was interesting also the amount of people that work at Adobe that have no idea what it is either.

No comments:

Post a Comment